Thursday, August 09, 2007

I-35W Update

The Star-Tribune has just noted that two more individuals were taken from the wreckage of the bridge collapse about two hours ago. My sister, my wife and I went to downtown Minneapolis on Tuesday evening and walked out onto the balcony of the Guthrie Theater, which overlooks the Stone Arch Bridge and the Mississippi River. Off to the right, we could see the lights on the 10th St. Bridge--and the remnants of the green steel framework of what was the I-35W bridge. The feeling in the air is best described as "eerily peaceful."

The flags around the metro area are flying at half-staff.

The MN-280 detour around the site is working flawlessly.

With all of the road construction on the weave (where I-35E and I-694 meet in Vadnais Heights/Little Canada) as well as MN-36 in North St. Paul, I'm really impressed with the way the detour around the bridge is working. I haven't been on it during rush hour, but I think people are just being smart and doing the best they can to help in this situation.

No comments: